Finding Data: Data on Oceania
ACCESS TO THESE DATA FILES ARE RESTRICTED TO CURRENTLY ENROLLED/EMPLOYED MEMBERS OF
- Aid Salary Discrepancies and Development Workers' Performance, 2007-2010
Explored the effects of aid salary discrepancies in the health, education and business sectors of China, India, Malawi, Papua New Guinea, Uganda, and the Solomon Islands. The main topics covered dual salaries, workplace justice, harmonisation of salaries, alignment of salaries, aid worker motivation, aid worker performance, poverty reduction, work benefits and culture at work. To obtain a free account please register with the UKDA.
- Comparative Survey of Freedom, 1972-1976
Contains information gathered in 5 annual surveys that assessed the degree of freedom in 218 nations and dependencies. Was carried out under the auspices of Freedom House, New York City. The number of cases with data varies from year to year, due to annexation, amalgamation, or the addition of further territories to the roster. Data includes assessments of the political and civil rights of the general population (using a seven-point scale, i.e., 1, most freedom, to 7, least freedom), an overall freedom rating for the country (using a three-point scale, i.e, free, partly free, and not free), and the direction in which this rating appeared to be moving. Surveys after 1972 have added variables that indicate whether a change in the evaluation since the previous survey was due to internal events in the country or to new information about existing conditions. Before 1973, only the presence or absence of change is noted. Thereafter, an increase in the number of coding categories enables the direction of the change to be recorded. The 1976 data include 4 additional variables applicable to 142 cases and provide information about the system of government and the economy of most of the nations studied.
- Correlates of War (1816+)
Quantitative data useful for studying international relations. Also includes war within political entities.
- Cross-National Statistics on the Causes of Death (1966-1974)
Demographic statistics for the populations of 125 countries or areas throughout the world. Units of analysis are both country and data year. Includes statistics on approximately 50 types of causes of death for males, females, and total populations.
- Demographic and Health Surveys
Used to evaluate population, health, and nutrition programs. Provides national and sub-national data on family planning, maternal and child health, child survival, HIV/AIDS/sexually transmitted infections (STIs), infectious diseases, reproductive health and nutrition. Microdata is available free of charge by request. To search for HIV and GPS datasets, use the Dataset Access tab. First check characteristics and sample sizes. Data is available for:
- Afghanistan (2010)
- Albania (2008/09)
- Angola (2006/07, 2011)
- Armenia (2000, 2005, 2010)
- Azerbaijan (2006)
- Bangladesh (1993/94, 1996/97, 1999-2001, 2004, 2007, 2011)
- Benin (1996, 2001, 2006)
- Bolivia (1989, 1994, 1998, 2003, 2008)
- Botswana (1988) (restricted)
- Brazil (1986, 1991, 1996)
- Burkina Faso (1993, 1998/99. 2003, 2010)
- Burundi (1987, 2010)
- Cambodia (1998, 2000, 2005, 2010)
- Cameroon (1991, 1998, 2004, 2011)
- Cape Verde (2005)
- Central African Republic (1994/95)
- Chad (1996/97, 2004)
- Colombia (1986, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005, 2010)
- Comoros (1996)
- Congo (Brazzaville) (2005, 2009)
- Congo Democratic Republic (2007)
- Cote d'Ivoire (1994, 1998/99, 2005)
- Dominican Republic (1986, 1991, 1996, 1999, 2002, 2007)
- Ecuador (1987)
- Egypt (1988, 1992, 1995-1997, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008)
- El Salvador (1985)
- Eritrea (1995, 2002) (restricted)
- Ethiopia (2000, 2005, 2011)
- Gabon (2000)
- Ghana (1988, 1993, 1998, 2003, 2007-2008)
- Guatemala (1987, 1995, 1998/99)
- Guinea (1999, 2005)
- Guyana (2005, 2009)
- Haiti (1994/95, 2000, 2005/06)
- Honduras (2005/06)
- India (19992/93, 1998/99, 2005/06)
- Indonesia (1987, 1991, 1994, 1997, 2002-2003, 2007)
- Jordan (1990, 1997, 2002, 2007, 2009)
- Kazakhstan (1995, 1999)
- Kenya (1989, 1993, 1998, 2003, 2008/09)
- Kyrgyz Republic (1997)
- Lesotho (2004, 2009)
- Liberia (1986, 2007, 2009, 2011)
- Madagascar (1992, 1997, 2003/04, 2008/09, 2011)
- Malawi (1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2010, 2012)
- Maldives (2009)
- Mali (1987, 1995/96, 2001, 2006, 2010)
- Mauritania (2000/01, 2003/04) (restricted)
- Mexico (1987)
- Moldova (2005)
- Morocco (1987, 1992, 1995, 2003/04)
- Mozambique (1997, 2003, 2009, 2011)
- Namibia (1992, 2000, 2006/07)
- Nepal (1987, 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011)
- Nicaragua (1998, 2001)
- Niger (1992, 1998, 2006)
- Nigeria (1990, 1999, 2003, 2008, 2010)
- Nigeria (Ondo State) (1986)
- Pakistan (1990/91, 2006/07)
- Paraguay (1990)
- Peru (1986, 1991/92, 1996, 2000, 2004-2008)
- Philippines (1993, 1998, 2003, 2008)
- Rwanda (1992, 2000, 2005, 2007/08, 2010, 2011)
- Sao Tome and Principe (2008/09)
- Senegal (1986, 1992/93, 1997, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2008/09, 2010/11)
- Sierra Leone (2008)
- South Africa (1998)
- Sri Lanka (1987)
- Sudan (1989/90)
- Swaziland (2006/07)
- Tanzania (1991/92, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2003-2005, 2007/08, 2010-2012)
- Thailand (1987)
- Timor Leste (2009)
- Togo (1988, 1998)
- Trinidad and Tobago (1987)
- Tunisia (1988)
- Turkey (1993, 1998, 2003)
- Turkmenistan (2000)
- Uganda (1988/89, 1995/96, 2000/01, 2004/05 (restricted), 2006, 2009, 2011)
- Ukraine (2007)
- Uzbekistan (1996, 2002)
- Vietnam (1997, 2002, 2005)
- Yemen (1991/92, 1997(restricted))
- Zambia (1992, 1996, 2001/02, 2007)
- Zimbabwe (1988, 1994, 1999, 2005/06, 2010/11)
- Education Statistics (World Bank)
Worldwide data on education from national statistical reports, statistical annexes of new publications, and other data sources. Includes public expenditure data.
Contains data on indicators to monitor the Education for All initiative. This version of the database has been launched for the Asia-Pacific region.
- EM-DAT : the International Disaster Database
Essential core data on the occurrence and effects of over 18,000 mass disasters in the world from 1900 to present.
- Evidence to Action
Evidence to Action (HIV/AIDS)
Contains data on key HIV/AIDS indicators for 26 Asia-Pacific countries and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China. Synthesized into strategic information in 5 key areas: HIV prevalence and epidemiological status, vulnerability and HIV knowledge, risk behaviors, economics of AIDS and national response.
- Foreign Conflict Behavior, 1950-1968
Contains data on over 13,000 foreign conflict acts of 113 nations in the period 1950-1968. Data are provided for actor and object, either of which may refer to nations, colonies, international organizations, or groups in rebellion against national authority and involved in international relations. Data are also provided for official and unofficial acts, which are categorized into violent and nonviolent acts. Violent acts are further categorized into planned and unplanned acts, as well as unclassified acts. These include warning or defensive acts related to a developing conflict situation, threat, war, clash, or negative behavior such as blockade, embargo, or diplomatic rebuff of one nation by another. Nonviolent acts include boycott and anti-foreign demonstrations.
- Global Terrorism Database II, 1998-2004
Undertaken to address the fact that there is little robust empirical analysis of terrorism. The two primary reasons for this problem included insufficient temporal and spatial coverage of available data, and a lack of public availability of terrorism data. Due to this lack of available empirical data regarding terrorism, the researchers sought to code and verify a previously unavailable dataset composed of terrorist events recorded for the entire world from 1998 through 2004. The goal was to create a comprehensive and sound data set on global terrorism that can be used to derive methodologically robust insights into the phenomenon of terrorism and how to counter it. Not intended to be merged with the Global Terrorism Database, 1970-1997. The data being distributed in this data collection were collected using different methods and often different data definitions. Accordingly, the databases should not be used for direct comparison. Does not examine state terrorism.
- International Religious Freedom Data (2001, 2003, 2005, 2008)
Contains aggregate measures from U.S. State Department's International Religious Freedom Reports. This coding produced data on 196 different countries and territories but excluded the United States. Also includes 3 indexes calculated from these data: Government Regulation of Religion index, Social Regulation of Religion index, Government Favoritism of Religion index. Part of the Association of Religion Data Archives. 2008 is found separately.
- Measurement of Cross-cutting Cleavages and Other Multidimensional Cleavage Structures
Contains 69 new indices for race, ethnicity, language, religion, income, and geography.
- Occupational Wages around the World (OWW) Database
Contains occupational wage data for 161 occupations in 171 countries from 1983 to 2008.
Provides human development data for 15 Pacific Island countries through different databases. The MDG Database contains data for 15 countries: Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Tokelau and Vanuatu. The Pacific Subregional UNDAF Database contains data for all of the same countries minus Papua New Guinea. Databases are also available containing the UNDAF results matrices for the 5 least developed countries in the region: Kiribati, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
- Papua New Guinea - Public Expenditure and Service Delivery Survey 2002, A survey of 220 schools
- Women in National Parliaments (1997+)
World and regional averages of the percentage of women in national parliaments.
- World Contraceptive Use (2010)
Includes trends on contraceptive prevalence and unmet needs for family planning. 2012 is found on the UN Site.
- World Development Indicators
Development indicators from the World Bank. Covers population, education, health, aid, poverty and environmental indicators for 208 countries.
- World Fertility Data (2006, 2008)
Data on fertility and marriage for 192 countries. The indicators are selected in such a way as to present a concise picture of reproductive behavior from both period and cohort perspectives. The data are compiled from civil registration, population censuses and nationally representative sample surveys. The basic criterion for inclusion of data is its reliability. No attempts were made to estimate missing data. For each country, available data are presented for 2 dates. An earlier date was centered on 1970 and the most recent on 2000 or later. In cases where data for 1970 are not available, the closest date is selected from within the 1960-1985 period. For the later date, the most recent available estimate since 1986 is selected. Reference dates were chosen on the basis of two criteria: the database should contain most recent available data and the benchmark data that should correspond to the beginning of sustained fertility decline in most parts of the world. 2012 is found on the UN site.
- World Marriage Data (2006, 2008)
Contains data on marriage for 192 countries. Indicators are selected in such a way as to present a concise picture of marital behavior from both period & cohort perspectives. Data are compiled from civil registration, population censuses and nationally representative sample surveys. The basic criterion for inclusion of data is its reliability. No attempts were made to estimate missing data. For each country, marital statuses and period indicators are presented for 2 dates. An earlier date was centered on 1970 and the most recent on 2000 or later. In cases where data for 1970 are not available, the closest date is selected from within the 1960-1985 period. For the later date, the most recent available estimate since 1986 is selected. Reference dates were chosen on the basis of two criteria: the database should contain most recent available data and the benchmark data that should correspond to the beginning of sustained fertility decline in most parts of the world. 2012 is found on the UN site.
- World Mortality Report (2011)
Includes death rates, infant mortality, under age 5 mortality, life expectancy, and probability of dying between ages 15 and 60. Some data goes back to 1950 with projections to 2015.
- World Population Prospects (2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010 revisions)
Comprehensive set of demographic indicators for 1950-2050. Includes measures of fertility, life expectancy, migration, and measures of the impact of HIV/AIDS. 2010 folder includes "Probabilistic Projections" and "Special Aggregates".
- World Public Opinion.org
Program on International Policy Attitudes site providing public opinion from around the world.
- World Telecommunication/ICT Indicators Database (16th. Ed. - 2012)
Contains time series data for 1960, 1965, 1970 and annually from 1975-2011 for around 140 different telecommunication and ICT statistics covering the telecommunication network and ICT uptake, mobile services, quality of service, traffic, staff, tariffs, revenue and investment. Data for over 200 economies are available.
This page last updated: October 21, 2009