Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) (1998+)
Designed to capture various aspects of firm creation and entrepreneurship across countries. Seeks to measure the national attributes considered critical for new firm births and small firm growth. Consists of 2 surveys:
1. Adult Population Survey (APS)
The APS explores the role of the individual in the lifecycle of the entrepreneurial process. The focus is not only on business characteristics, but also on people’s motivation for starting a business, the actions taken to start and run a business, as well as entrepreneurship related attitudes. The APS is administered to a minimum of 2000 adults in each economy, ensuring that it is nationally representative. Some economies have far larger samples than this, providing regional and city-level insights. The core of the APS has remained consistent over the years, providing a valuable longitudinal perspective. However, there is a ‘Special Topic’ section, which changes annually and explores aspects of entrepreneurship not already covered in the core APS. National Teams are also able to add questions to their survey, to investigate issues of particular national relevance. ICPSR has 1998-2002. For later years register through the GEM site. Data is embargoed for 3 years.
2. National Expert Survey (NES)
GEM argues that entrepreneurship dynamics can be linked to conditions that enhance (or hinder) new business creation. It identifies 9 factors that are believed to have a significant impact on entrepreneurship, known as the Entrepreneurial Framework Conditions (EFCs). The purpose of the NES is to assess the status of the EFCs in each economy at a given point in time. It is administered to a minimum of 36 carefully chosen experts, who are asked to respond to a series of statements on a Likert scale, rating them from completely false to completely true. ICPSR has 1999-2012. For later years register through the GEM site. Data is embargoed for 3 years.
- 4,685 experts from over 38 countries and 3 subnational regions: Hong Kong, Shenzhen (China), and Taiwan.
- Series - completed
- Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Mexico, Morocco, Mozambique, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, and Vietnam
- Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) (1998+)
- Series - completed