Consulting services during the COVID-19 pandemic
Following current guidelines, DSS services are available virtual via Zoom consultations and in-person.
You can also email your questions at email@example.com. Consider the following when requesting assistance over email:
- Please indicate the software you are using.
- Please make sure to be as detailed as possible on what you need.
- If you are running a procedure and got an error, please include the error message or a screenshot of what you were trying to do (make sure to include the code).
- If your question is about regression interpretation, make sure to include a screenshot of the regression output, and a brief description of the variables in the model.
- If your question is about model design/selection, please include your research question and a brief background of what you are trying to do.
- If your question is about data visualization, please provide a brief description of what you are trying to display (include a screenshot of the model or descriptive statistics if possible).
- Please consider that response time may vary given the volume of requests, the earlier you can contact us, the better.
Make sure to check DSS online resources at https://dss.princeton.edu/training/
Using Stata in Princeton Virtual Desktops (PVD)
For more information see here
Using Stata in Adroit
You need to VPN to the University using GlobalProtect, see here https://workcontinuity.princeton.edu/remoteaccess. The portal address is vpn.princeton.edu. This will also allow you to access DSS data sources restricted to Princeton students, faculty, and staff.
Besides Stata, Adroit high-performance computing offers R/RStudio, Matlab, and Python
Click here for instructions on how to use Stata in Adroit
Click here for instructions on how to use R/RStudio in Adroit
Remote desktop connection to DSS PCs
For those who need to do remote desktop connection:
- VPN to the University using GlobalProtect, see here https://workcontinuity.princeton.edu/remoteaccess. The portal address is vpn.princeton.edu.
- If you have a Mac visit this site for instructions: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-mac
- If you have a Windows laptop use "Remote Desktop Connection" app already installed
When using remote desctop connection, you will need the name of the PC you are trying to access.
Please do not hesitate in contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding data sources, data analysis, or data visualization.
Overview of consulting services
Statistical consulting services are available to currently enrolled/employed members of Princeton University. DSS consultants provide statistical and software assistance in quantitative analysis of electronic data as
part of independent research projects, such
as junior papers, senior theses, term papers, dissertations, and scholarly articles. We advise about the choice and application of quantitative methods, the conversion of data from one format
to another, and the interpretation of statistical analyses. The statistical packages supported are Stata, SPSS, and R.
The lab is very crowded from February to April with primarily juniors and seniors working on their junior paper or senior thesis. Please plan ahead if
you need extensive assistance.
NOTE: We do not provide assistance with homework assignments, problem sets or take-home
exams but students are welcome to use our online resources, tutorials and computing resources.
The DSS computer lab is located at A-12-G (A-floor, click here for a map) in Firestone
The lab is open when Firestone Library is open. If you would
like to use lab computers and do not need assistance, you may come in anytime when the library is open. Assistance is
provided according to the staffing schedule posted on the sidemenu on the left. If you need assistance but can not come
during the staffed hours, please email email@example.com . When requesting an
appointment, and to make the most out of it, please provide as much information as possible so we can better plan a way
to help you.
Making the most from the consultation
Before coming to the lab:
At an earlier stage in your research:
- Have a feasible research question, click here for some tips on crafting research questions
- Try to locate the data you need, click here for some tips on finding data
- Identify the variables relevant your research question.
- Use the coodebook to understand your data
- Unlike homework assignments independent research can't be done overnight. JPs, senior theses, term papers, dissertation take time and resources. Once you define your research question you need to get the data, select the variables, clean and prepare them for analysis, select the model, interpret the results, write the conclusions. So, plan ahead and start as early as possible.
During or at a later stage in your research:
- Make sure your advisor is on board and approves what you want to do. Remember, he or she will grade your work!
- DSS consultants can guide you throughout your research but you are responsible for what goes into your paper.
- Have a plan for your project as a whole. A written time-line and "to-do" list will be veryhelpful. During busy times, consultants may not be able to give as much personalized attention, so knowing specifically what you need to ask will make your time more efficient.
- Keep a log of everything you do related to your research, even steps that did not work. This will come in handy by the time you write the final version of your paper and, most importantly, the methodology section.
DSS Computing resources
- 13 PCs w/Windows 7 and 28" monitors
- 1 Scanner (click here for instructions on how to use. Must bring USB to extract scanned files)
- Stata 9-14 (32/64 bit) (also available in all OIT clusters)
- SPSS 18 (PASW), click here for more info
- R, RStudio
- Python 2.7/3.6 (Anaconda suite)
- Stat/Transfer (click here for instructions on how
From PDF to Excel/Word
- OmniPage 18 (OCR text recognition, only in the computer attached to the scanner. Must bring USB to extract
files). Click here for instructions on how to use.